Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Collapsing and Rising

How does one put feelings into words when they don't know what they feel? During the accident, I stopped feeling. I stopped sensing. I wasn't scared, sad, mad, or even relieved. Instead, I was just nothing. I don't remember smelling anything. I lost the ability to see, hear, and even keep myself balanced. I lost total control and collapsed.

From then on, I've looked back and had some thoughts. I'm using my little experience here as an analogy, so bear with me. Sometimes, when we get ourselves into a traumatic experience we lose ourselves. We lose sight of what's around us. We can't hear people calling out for change or cheering us on. We can't smell the smokey atmosphere, signaling that something's wrong and your emotions aren't what they used to be. When it's all said and done, you can lose yourself so much that you lose control and finally collapse.

As a community, I think that it's best that we help each other to rise up and improve with every little thing that we do. Sometimes we can get so far down the wrong path or just get knocked out on our way down the right one. This inconsistency can help us lose sight of our predetermined goal, whatever that may be. When life gets you down, it's okay to rely a little bit on others to help pick you up and dust you off and clean your wounds. However, we should always be willing to help pick others up when they need it too.

After both car accidents, I felt that I needed a lot of help doing my day-to-day tasks. I still do. I have to go to the chiropractor three times a week because of both car accidents. Sometimes I've even used the elevator, rather than using the stairs, at my school because of my stapled knee. I've had to ask neighbors for band-aids, comfort, and overall help.

I will never forget the kindness that some of my closest friends have shown me. I've had friends come by and visit me to see if I'm doing alright and bring me multiple gifts as a "get well soon" present. I can't think of a time where I have felt more love, outside of the church of course. I am so grateful for the charity my peers have shown to me. The help they have given me has inspired me even more to rise up and be happy and help others despite the challenges I have within my life. I have discovered even more so, through this experience, that there is a handful of friends ready to aide me whenever I need them. Sometimes it's just a matter of asking for that help or even being the first to help them with what they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment