Monday, May 20, 2013

Comfort Zone: Triplet Skating

Hello everybody! This is a comfort zone project, it's a project that we do in Choir every trimester, and this is what I did this trimester. As I read through it again, I realized that it could also be considered as a very "well written" blog post. I hope that you guys enjoy reading this! Thank you!

Back before I was born, my parents hadn't met until they had bumped into each other at a skating rink. Back then, I don’t know if it was either Starlight Skating or some other skating place they had both went to, but that’s where they had met. My father, who was sort of shy, didn't really know how to skate; he’d never gone before. My mother was the complete opposite, and she loved to skate and talk with her friends and wasn't at all shy. My mom and one of her friends spotted my father sitting all alone with skates on, but just sitting on the bench. They both felt bad, and decided to go help him learn how to skate. That night, they both held his hands as they skated across the floor. Later, of course, my mom and dad fell for each other, and got married and had three kids, the last one being me of course.
Looking back at this story of how my mom and dad met, I had realized that not only have I not triplet skated with anyone; I hadn't had much experience with skating at all. I had only gone skating two times. Both times were with my dad, who has turned out to be pretty good at skating, like my mother. However, I never really learned how to skate, I just made assumptions about how to. I have never really tried to pull off the triplet skate before because I usually need a lot of room to be able to skate normally, and I didn’t want the other two people to fall because of me. As an attempt to fix this, I invited a couple of my friends and my dad to go skating with me.
My entire plan was to invite Krista Phillips, Mary Landon, Dawson Hammond, and my father to go skating with me. I planned to just basically have fun with them, and when given the opportunity to Triplet or Couple skate with two other people, I would. After that plan was over, of course my comfort zone project would be done, except for the fact that I would have to basically write about my whole experience with the situation.
The original plan was to basically leave to skate at around 2:00 p.m., but it turns out that’s when the skating place closed! Krista contacted me and told me that it wasn’t really going to work, so immediately I contacted my dad and all of my friends basically saying that I was headed to pick them all up right then and there. Of course, being 3 hours early would be a big surprise to them all; they were in shock because they had other things to do. Dawson just happened to be washing a car, Mary was hanging out with some of her neighbors, and Krista was basically home alone so our parents couldn’t meet each other. However, they all happily joined us as we drove to Starlight Skating in Idaho Falls. When we got there, we all felt like we were going to fall on our faces and be super embarrassed. Surprisingly, the first hour or so had no falling for any of us except for my dad, who’s getting weaker and weaker so we can’t blame him. During the first 15 minutes, Mary and I kept holding on to the bar surrounding the rink because we were scared we were going to fall still. Krista and Dawson kept intimidating us so we finally just let go of the bar, and skated around without it. With that to be my third time skating, and I hadn’t been skating in 2 years, I was actually doing pretty well. However, I had those moments where I almost fell, but not quite; I kept catching my balance last second! Right when Mary and I got used to skating, that’s when they had the Triplet or Couple skate light on, so that you can only skate if you’re holding hands with another person, or two other people. I looked at whoever was next to me at that moment in time, and it just happened to be Mary and Dawson! I took both of their hands, and took the middle position. In my case, that’s the spot I wanted the least just because I could easily mess the two of them up anyways. We were all doing just fine!! We got half-way across the entire rink, and then BOOM! Mary hit the back of my skate making me fall and dragging Dawson down with me! Somehow Mary survived the “Triplet Crash,” and skated to the bar for safety. That was the only time I fell out of the whole entire time we had skated at Starlight Skating. I was so surprised with myself, that I just decided to keep working and working at it to improve. As the rest of the day went on, Dawson was a little bit more curious about the relationship that I have with my dad, and wanted to know the story to its fullest. As a result of that want, we basically held hands and skated around countless times without falling. Of course, both of us were getting better and better at skating in a “Couple.”
If you think about it, triplet skating wasn't that big of a deal, but it teaches me a little bit more about how my dad felt when he had met my mother. He didn't really know how to skate that well, just like me. My mom and her friend, or in this case, Dawson and Mary, helped me through it, and let me have an amazing experience with skating. Not only did this comfort zone help me to try new things, and let others help me, it helped me get in touch with a little bit of family history. I feel even closer to my mother and father after I did what they had done, and it’s incredible the little things we can do to improve ourselves and become better people.


Songs of the Day: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen (for my dad) AND A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton (for Dawson)


Shout-Outs of the Day:
Dawson:
It's our 8 month anniversary, and we celebrated it without fighting...except the deal with cupcakes. Haha, anyways it's been an amazing 8 months with that, and did you know what 8/12 reduces to 2/3? This means we've been together for 2/3 of a year! Do you KNOW how crazy that is? It's crazy! It's even crazy when people ask us how long we've been together. We say 8 months, and they freak out! Let's face it, 8 months takes dedication, but so does 1 year and over. I'm pretty sure we both know that it's hard for people our age to get even around 1 month anniversaries. It tells me, and I'm sure that it tells you, that we are both "head-over-heels" for each other, and that we feel so close that we can't even imagine everyday life WITHOUT each other. Haha anyways it's been an absolute pleasure to be your girlfriend for this wonderful 8 months, and I hope to continue to be be it.
Dad: Hey Dad! What a heck of a "birthday party" we had! It was so crazy that I ate too much! Why'd you have to over-feed me like that! It's just not healthy, you know? Here I am trying to lose weight, and you go and ruin it for me by giving me cupcakes and ice cream and pizza, and offering me tater-tots and stuff like that! Of course I'm going to run to the bathroom and sit by the toilet and want to give it up! It's just too much, even though it's all so good! You can't let me have HALF of a pizza, and still have cupcakes and ice cream and ADD onto it! That's a horrible idea! Thanks anyways though, I don't know...I think it might've been worth just the pizza and cupcakes. Gee that was wonderful. Anyways, I love you and I look forward to seeing you on Thursday. Hope you find some arm candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment