Thursday, March 6, 2014

To All That Say We Won't Last

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like without him. But then I realize... I've already gone through that. Honestly, I can never see myself going back to that life. During that life, I was stuck in some sort of fake happiness as I thought I knew what love was with another man. After meeting Dawson, I knew we had some sort of special connection. People sometimes ask me: Are you willing to settle for less than your true partner? simply because they choose to believe that Dawson and I are most likely going to break up in the future, and that nothing lasts forever. They believe that someday I really will meet someone that will be a greater and a bigger love than him. To this, I say, You simply don't know him like I do.

I've taken time to talk to my parents about what they felt like in love. My mother and step-father are what I would call best friends. As I've observed their relationship, I've learned many things that having a temporary boyfriend probably wouldn't be able to teach me, along with the relationship my mother and my own father had. Seeing my father and my mother go through all sorts of relationships, I made my own list about what qualities were going to be perfect for me. My mother would always tell me all the amazing and the somewhat embarrassing things that would happen when she dated around looking for her second marriage, and I always learned from her mistakes when it came down to it. Dawson is my best friend, just like my mother and my step-father. I can rely on Dawson and tell him anything, and he will always be there to help cheer me up in any circumstance.

To all that say that I don't have enough experience, I say that yes, I have experienced heartbreak, something very crucial in picking ones' true love. Lacking experience is the least of my problems. Watching each of my parents go dating several more times as I tag along on some of the dates, my mother and father taught me the ins and outs of dating, aka what to do and what not to do. Even though I'm not even 16, I've seen what guys are like on dates, and I've taken what I like and dislike in mind.

To all that say you're too young to feel true love, I ask a question in return, so I'm not to love? I love my parents, I love my friends, and I love quite a lot of things. Saying that I'm too young is like saying a child is not to say I love you mommy, until the "proper" age. Think about it, we all have crushes, don't we? If I were to tell you, in return, that you're too young to feel true love, it would make you want to feel true love sooner than not, right? As a somewhat rebellious teenager, I would agree with that statement of wanting things right now, but you simply don't know him like I do.

To all that said: Never date a non-member, what about the missionaries? My religion preaches about our responsibility on this Earth to spread the gospel to everyone, no matter what their circumstances. I prefer not to judge someone based on their religious practices, but I was able to help this wonderful man grab hold of the gospel in his life once again after being inactive for a few years. Today, he goes to church just like everyone else, but his family stays at home. He wants to get married in the temple someday, and he longs to see his father once again, as his parents got sealed in the temple right before his father's death. He knows that heavenly father will prepare a way for him to see his father once again, and me helping and guiding him back to the gospel has helped him through the darkness that was cloaked around him. If I never dated Dawson, he might have not been reached out to, and would've remained shrouded in darkness and depression. In a way, we're all missionaries, aren't we? We should all spread the gospel that we know and love to those who need it in their lives. We should all share our testimonies and not be afraid of what others think of our religion because it's what we believe individually and as a group that will save us. You never know, you just might be inspiring those around you by standing up for what you believe in.

To all that say: You marry who you date, I see that to be the truth, but here's the thing. I honestly do want to marry Dawson, so why would that in any way stop me from dating him, if I cannot find anything wrong with him? Even though many may say that I don't have enough experience, that i'm too young to feel true love, to never date a non-member, and that I ultimately marry who I date, I'm totally fine with him, and there's no reason to break up with him. If you have a problem with our relationship, To all that say, Dawson and Bek need to break up, I say in reply, you don't know us that well then.

No comments:

Post a Comment